Setting up Users
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes | Target users: New users
A user account enables a member of your organization to log into VCC Live® Desk and access the projects, resources, and settings they are granted rights to.
In this lesson, you will learn:
- What the two types of user accounts are
- What user right groups are
- How to create new users
- How to modify user preferences
1. User Accounts
A user account is used to log in to VCC Live® Desk. We differentiate between two types of user accounts: agent and admin. The user type is defined by which user right group the user is assigned to. This can be selected when you create a new user.
2. User Right Groups
User right groups define what settings and actions users have access to. There are 4 default user right groups:
- Admin: users in this group can access all settings and features on the admin interface.
- Supervisor: users in this group can access most of the settings and features on the admin interface.
- Wallboard: users in this group can only access the wallboards, as well as some quality assurance tools on the admin interface.
- Agents: users in this group can access the agent interface.
2.1 Creating User Right Groups
You can create more user right groups, as well as modify the default ones. This allows you to define precisely what settings, resources, menus and interfaces group members are allowed to access and use.
- From the VCC Live® menu, select User Management > Rights.
- Select a group from the Supervisor groups or Agent groups column.
- In the Rights pane, you can view the available rights you can grant or deny access to.
We’ll go into more details about customizing user rights later.
3. Managing User Accounts
Creating a new user is very simple. Before you start, make sure your user has the right to create new users.
3.1 Creating an Agent User Account
- From the VCC Live® menu, select User Management > Users, then press Create new user.
- Enter a name for the user. This should be the full name of the user.
- Add a username, but be careful! You cannot change the username later on. This field can only contain lowercase alphanumerics (a-z, 0-9) and low_dash.
- Enter a password for the user in both the Password and Confirm password text fields. You can also define the password policy. See Using a Password Policy.
- In the Groups field, you can select which group the user belongs to. The icon beside the group indicates the group type. As we’re creating an agent user, let’s select Agent from the list. Again, be careful! You cannot change an agent user to a supervisor user and vica versa, later.
- Press Next.
- You can select the project you previously created. You can also set a skill level, but we’ll look at that later.
- Press Finish to finish. Well done, you’ve just created your first agent user.
Note: A user cannot access both the admin and agent interfaces using the same username. So if you wish to access both the admin and agent workspaces, two separate accounts need to be created for you.
3.2 Modifying User Preferences
Once a user is created, you can customize the user’s preferences. We’ve collected a few help articles explaining some of the most important options, that enable you to:
- Modify the user’s name. See To Modify the Name of a User.
- Change the user’s password. See To Change User Password.
- Activate or deactivate users. See To Activate or Inactivate a User.
- Set notifications for a user. See To Add or Remove Users to a Notifications List.
- Set an outbound number specific to an agent user. See To Assign a Phone Number to an Agent.
- Assign agent users to a project. See Assigning Agents to a Project.
- Set call distribution among agent users. See Redistributing Callbacks.
You’ve just learned how to set up users in VCC Live® Desk.
Ready for the next lesson? You’ll learn how to create a simple project.
Start next lesson >