IP Address Filtering — Restricting Access Based on IP Addresses
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes | Target users: IT Admins
It is possible to restrict access to productname.label or to its individual features based on IP addresses. It is a security feature called IP Whitelisting, which allows you to create lists of trusted IP addresses or IP ranges from which your users can access your domains.
This means that only users inside the range of IP addresses you enter can access the selected features in a User Right Group. You can set up different IP addresses (or ranges) in every group.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Allowed IP addresses can only be set by domain administrators.
- Allowed IP addresses can be set for either individual IP addresses or for domains.
- Once you enter an IP address or range, only users inside the range of that IP address will be able to access the rights indicated in that group.
Assinging IP Address to a User Right Group
- Create a user right group, add users to it, then select what features you want this group to have access to. Read about this in the Managing User Right Groups section.
- From the productname.label menu, select users_menu.menu.label > menu_rights.right.label.
- Select a group from the supervisorGroups.label or operatorGroups.label column.
- In the ip.label.value textbox, enter one or more IP addresses or IP ranges separated with line breaks. (IP address format: 184.108.40.206. IP range format: 220.127.116.11/255.255.255.0)
- Press save.button.label.
Tip: You can have the system insert your IP address by using the add_myown_ip.button.label button.
Note: While IP Whitelisting is a powerful security tool to keep your data safe, it is only one tool in the security arsenal. Therefore it is recommended to use other means of data security, such as two-factor authentication, in order to minimize the risk of information leakage.
You’ve just learned how to set up IP Filtering in productname.label.
Ready for the next lesson? You’ll learn how to enable your external systems to exchange database information with VCC Live.
Start next lesson >
Can’t find what you need? Use the comment section below to connect with others, get answers from our experts, or share your ideas with us.
There are no comments yet.